Resuming Life

Thank you so very much for all of the well-wishes bestowed upon Hubbs.
I am happy to report he is doing quite well following surgery.
Although his activity level has been severely curtailed during this healing phase,
he is quite comfortable and healing nicely.

As for me...
it was wonderful to get back out to the barn yesterday morning.


A day without my animals is unusual and strange.
I definitely like my normal routine.


Yesterday morning in the pasture was beautiful.


The morning sun cast a golden glow to everything and everyone.


I couldn't help just plopping myself down upon the cold, crunchy earth
to watch the equines eat their breakfast.


Once again, bluebird song was coming from the area of the garden...
sweet songs that tell of Spring's approach.


I am missing my farmhand (Hubbs) during chore time,
but honestly... I love the peace and calm of these hours with the animals...
and never mind doing the work alone.


In time, he'll be back to help...
and then the time spent doing chores will be cut in half.


Yesterday morning was definitely the stellar part of the day...
as the clouds moved in, and with them - several snow squalls.

At one point during the day, Sammie started barking...
the kind of bark he uses when a stranger is here.
The strange thing about his barking, though, was the fact that he never left the bedroom.
Usually if someone is outside, he greets them at the front door.
I went into the bedroom to see what had him so upset...
and found him looking out my bedroom window...
at this...


Look how sly old Mr. Fox's eyes are.


He was staring in the direction of Bobby cat, who was hiding behind a tree.


With the opening of the front door, Sam and Annie and Chester were off...
giving chase to Mr. Fox.
They chased him right off the property.
Panting and tired, they all returned home within minutes.
Sam was last... and had taken a little extra time to roll in something absolutely disgusting.
Hubbs was lucky to be excused from the next duty...
showering with Sammie.

At least it wasn't skunk spray!

(Diane... to clear up the confusion...
We have 4 grown children between us (the youngest two are twins)....
and 3 grandchildren... Tyler, Mackenzie and Easton)

Comments

Lynne said…
Yikes . . . I would be nervous with that steely eyed fox so close to the house . . .
Happy the “doggie fleet” chased him away!
Happy hubs is home from surgery, resting . . .
daisy g said…
Thank you for letting us know how Hubbs is doing. Continued healing to him...

Your pups have definitely earned a few Ritz crackers for that!
Moggie said…
Glad to hear that all went well. Beautiful shots of the morning, and the horses.
So glad Hubbs is doing well. Thank You Lord. I am so looking forward to my fairies making an appearance tomorrow on St. Paddy's day. I am sure the leprechauns will be up to no good and the fairies help those who are on the end of their tricks. I always get pinched.
This N That said…
Glad Hubs is doing well..Double or even triple duty for you..What great Fox pictures..I haven't seen ours around for awhile..Maybe it's kit time..It was this time last year or the year before that she was rolling around in one of the fields with her pup..good catch Sammie..Happy that Bobby is safe..Don't get blown away today...
jaz@octoberfarm said…
glad to hear the surgery went well. good job dogs!!! you saved your bobby!
Country Gal said…
Good dogs . What a beautiful looking creature though that fox is . Glad to hear Hubbs is doing well and recovering nicely . Nothing like being at home with your animals is there ?! Lovely photos , thanks for sharing , Have a great weekend !
diane in northern wis said…
Thanks dear Bev, for clearing up my confusion on the kids. I thought I had it figured out! Such a great family you have.
Hope your Hubbs will be feeling better very soon. I am amazed at your beautiful grass when here we have hills of snow higher than our roofs! It's going to take a lot of melting, and hopefully not too fast. Enjoy your Spring like weather and thanks for such a great blog! Glad Bobby didn't get eaten by that fox!!!